Monday, September 28, 2009

Back to School

School has started officially and I have been at it for a week now. Right now it's all review material and it's really hard to sit through not only because I have heard it before but also because the make you sit through three hours of lecture here. Everyday I feel like I'm about to pass out. I'm not used to focusing for that long. I've made friends with a very nice guy from New York and he's in one of my classes so that's nice. I'm used to sitting on my own in lecture in UCSB but going to and sitting in lecture here is a very social thing. It makes me a little lonely sometimes.

A group of us went to Glasgow for a night for some shopping. The train ticket was only £10 round trip. Unfortunately I broke my camera by dropping it and I don't know when I'm going to get it fixed. I got to see the coolest street performer, he was doing tricks with a soccer ball. I was in complete awe and watched him for nearly 15 minutes. He balanced the ball on his shin... HIS SHIN! It was so cool.

I didn't make the soccer team which I'm not too upset about. To stay social I've joined the Chocolate Society with one of the girls I've met here. Chocolate instead of working out is always a good trade off.

A few fun adventures are in the works right now. A group of us, mostly American, are going to the Scotland vs Australia rugby match in November, and in December we are going to travel up to the Orkney Islands to see prolonged darkness and experience very cold temperatures. Shall be fun.

They said that coming here and staying here would be an emotional roller coaster and I'm starting to come off that high that I had when I first got here. I'm not home sick as much as I am frustrated. I've been listening to an abnormal amount of Jack Johnson. I know one thing I'm going to get out of this experience is how lucky I am to live in California and go to UCSB where girls can play soccer whenever they please and with whomever they please and are damn good at it. haha.

Love you all

Peace and Love
-Liesbeth

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hi Liesbeth,
Thank you for sharing this! I really like reading about your travels and I can't believe that football is so different over there. Sounds like they don't appreciate women soccer players like we do in the States... If you ever miss home, just remember that home will always be here for you when you come back but this experience is once in a lifetime. You will look back on this with such fondness. I'm very excited for you and this opportunity!
Hugs from your Cousin,
Jamie (and Brian too) :)