Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Long silences leads to overthinking

My first full quarter back in Santa Barbara hasn't been the easiest transition but I didn't honestly think it was going to be. My sister tried to comfort me when I was a little disappointed in my grades saying that I was going '0 to 150 mph academically'. It felt more like I was going 0 to 60 mph in a old VW bug... slow and the bottom feels like it's going to drop out at any moment.

I have been missing a lot about last year but mostly felt very much over where I find myself now. I would not change anything about last year, but the consequence of having to stay in Santa Barbara for an extra year. I was planning to move down town to get out of the infamous Isla Vista but I've been rethinking that. I don't want to have to take the bus everyday. Isla Vista actually can be really nice when there is no one there or for coffee and a meal. I've tried to go socialize with old friends but most of the time I find myself really bored, mostly because I have been choosing not to drink with them. Sober Sally amongst college students is pretty boring.


The streets were empty when I took a walk after finals were over. Usually at eight at night there are a fair few people out and about but not over the break. Isla Vista basically shuts down. So I've been knitting a lot. Mostly scarves for the girls I lived with last year and some friends around the country.
My plans for spring break are coming together and it's looking like a great time. My friend Ben and I are planning a nice east coast adventure and the people we have met and became friends with in Scotland are making it awesome. We are starting out by flying to Boston where we are going to stay with Ben's childhood friend who goes to college there. Hopefully I will get to see two of my friends who go to school a couple of hours outside Boston. We are going to take the train to Providence and spend a day with a high school friend of mine who is working there right now. Then we are flying to Richmond, VA to stay with another friend. He's told me already that we are going to the shooting range and that I need to tone down my 'hippiness' when I'm there. I jokingly send him pictures of all the overly 'hippy' things I do. Mostly organic food and coffee I order. haha. Then we are flying home. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Speaking of adventures, my dad, sister and I are road tripping it up the coast to my gradpa's near Seattle. I think it's going to take nearly four days. I'm going to try and take lots of pictures. I'm hoping to do a day to day update on here.

Hoping you all are having a good Holiday time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Peace and Love
Liesbeth

No comments: