Sunday, June 27, 2010

Back in the thick of it

I haven't updated since April so I'm going to share my last month or so first, then my thoughts on the Beautiful game and World Cup and lastly a short update on how I'm doing now.

The last two months in Edinburgh mostly consisted of me sitting in my room at my flat trying to cram for my exams. The UK system has end of the year exams lasting nearly a whole month. My first exam was April 27th and my last was May 21st. So after London with my friend Laura I was in Edinburgh till I left for home. Exams are so stressful over there. They put you in a room with multiple classes and you have bar codes and multiple booklets to write in. Very much reminded me of the AP and SAT tests that I had thought I had left behind in high school.

When I wasn't studying I was spending time with my friends and I miss them so much. There were about four or five going away events that I went to. The picture is a pretty good tapas place we went to for my friend Laurel. I'm all the way in the back. These tapas were not traditionally served with drinks and were pretty expensive but they were way more tasty than the tapas I had in Madrid. haha. The last couple of days consisted of spending a lot of time with my wonderful Scottish friends. I was lucky enough to have my friend Nick drive me to the airport when I left. Nick is in the picture on the left. He's the one in the burgundy polo shirt. He's a totally goof ball and I just love him to death. We were listening to the Beatles on the way to the airport so a few songs have a whole new meaning to me. The journey back was far too many hours lurking about airports. The British Airways strike forced me to spend the night in Heathrow, a good 13 hour wait from when I got there to when I could get on my flight back to California. Once I got out of customs I was so excited to see my sister and then we walked out to the car to meet my dad. I was exhausted but for those first few hours back I had all the energy in the world. First meal back was a double-double animal style from In-N-Out. It was so tasty. I think the biggest shock to me as we were driving home is how beautiful I had remembered California and Ventura being and really how muted and haggard it all really looked/looks to me. I haven't been to a lot of places in Europe still but Edinburgh has got to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I have been making the walk to my friends flat in my head so many times so I never forget what the streets look like. I know I'll be back there some day, hopefully some day soon.

Oh World Cup... as I'm writing this I'm watching Germany completely work the England squad. It's a shame really. Lampard's goal should have counted and maybe they would have started the second half with some more intensity but I don't see them coming back from a 4-1 deficit. The USA vs Ghana game was devastating and I'm really upset with Bob Bradley's coaching and the inability for someone to really call him out on it. He made a huge mistake by starting not only Clark but Findley as well when he had Feilhaber and Edu who not only play at a higher level in club but had really boosted the team against Algeria. If we had two subs in the last fifteen minutes, maybe Buddle or Stuart, the speed and the fresh legs may have gotten us a goal. Those boys tried their absolute hardest and their coach let them down. I'm so proud of the US team and I'm so happy that soccer is starting to seep into the American society and taking hold. Like I have all tournament I'm going to get up early for the rest of the tournament to watch good football and to see what these teams really have to offer. Maybe we see someone really shine and Man United can sign them. haha.

I'm officially back in Santa Barbara doing summer school and looking for a job, neither of which are particularly appealing to me but they both must be done. Everything has been a little dull to me since I've gotten back. I've come to the realization that I've really outgrown the student lifestyle here. I don't think that's a bad thing. I have a year of upper division chemistry classes ahead of me that will need so serious attention and focus to do well, and of course I want to do well. Other than that I've started working out regularly which is nice and this next week I'm really looking to start playing some pick up soccer again. I'm just hoping my touch isn't so bad that I make a fool of myself. That's it for now. I'm going to try and keep this up. Hope you are all doing well

Peace and Love
Liesbeth

No comments: